Scott's Run Settlement House



The Scott's Run Museum
Celebrating and preserving the history of the coal boom era in Monongalia County. Return to the Museum Home Page.

Fast Facts

  • Largely due to the development of the Scott's Run coal fields, coal production in Monongalia County rose from 400,000 tons in 1914 to 4.4 million in 1921.
  • By 1920, approximately 60 percent of the population in Scott's Run consisted of immigrants from nineteen different ethnic groups.
  • The Scott's Run Settlement House was started by the Methodist Church in 1922 to provide relief and assist in "Americanization" of the new immigrants. Its permanent home was completed in 1927.
  • In 1928, the Presbyterian Church established a mission on Scott's Run under the leadership of Mary Behner Christopher. In 1931, Behner established a community center in a mine building in addition to the church. Residents named it "The Shack."
  • In the 1930's, Scott's Run became America's symbol of the Great Depression in the coalfields, attracting the attention of Eleanor Roosevelt and the national media.
  • In 1933, the Catholic Church established St. Ursula Mission Church to minister to Catholics in Scott's Run. A food pantry was opened there in 1990.

Return to the Museum Home Page.