Variable Analytic Research Notes
IV. Receiver Variables
- How does Receiver Affect Persuasion?
- Type of processing (Routes)
- Reception versus Yielding
- Need For Cognition (Cacioppo et al., 1996; Psy Bull)
- Scale Items
- Tendency to engage in and enjoy effortful cognition
- Person-based elaboration moderator
- Hi NFC = More attention, recall, thoughts, arg-based
- Take a guess?
- Why this effect?
- Cool ELM example
- Self esteem and Intelligence (Rhodes & Wood, 1992; Psy Bull)
- Meta-analysis: Summary of experimental studies
- SE (persuasion d = -0.16; conformity d = -0.31; but moderate curve)
- IQ (persuasion d = -0.28; conformity d = -0.75)
- Presumed effects with reception and yielding
- Processing Effects
- Receiver usually interacts with other variables
- Main effect is misleading
Need for Cognition --- Short Version
Disagree 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Agree
1. I prefer complex to simple problems.
2. I like situations that require a lot of thinking.
3. Thinking is not my idea of fun.
Scoring: Reverse score for 3 (i.e. 9=1, 8=2), then sum all three scores. Range from 3 to 27;
High = 21; Moderate = 16; Low = 11
Back to VAR Main Page
Updated March 21, 1996; Copyright © SBB, 1996