Dissonance and Consistency Notes
VII. Disconfirmation of Important Beliefs
- "Disappointed." from A Fish Called Wanda
- When Truth Fails, Festinger et al., 1956
- Doomsday group prosletizing about Destruction on October 21
- Space ship salvation from superior beings from planet Clarion
- Doomsday comes, then goes with no Destruction
- Truth Fails, so the group . . .
- Feminist Failure
- People attempt to solve a word-logic puzzle
- Some folks have strong feminist orientation
- All folks fail the puzzle, but it really grinds the feminists
- All people then serve as mock jurors on sex discrimination case
- Guess who gives the toughest penalities and why?
- What's Going On Here?
- Important belief is directly refuted or disconfirmed
- Belief is so important is cannot be altered
- Therefore, strengthen the belief to answer the threat
Back to Dissonance Main Page
Updated March 21, 1996; Copyright © SBB, 1996