Teaching university students is simply the best part of this job. There are days when I am amazed that they pay me to go into a roomand talk about subjects that I enjoy discussing anyway. These are some of the courses I regularly teach here at WVU.
Comm. in Contemporary Society: COMM 122
COMM 122 is a large, lecture class aimed at issues confronting the average college-aged student.
Grading is based on 3 tests, 3 short papers, and attendance. At this point text materials are in the workbook info-segments. Topics covered range from how communication is involved in embarrassmentand loneliness, to communicative implications of acquaintance rape and unhealthy lifestyles, to communication at work and on a more societal level (e.g., racism and homophobia).
COMM 122: SCHEDULE OF WRITTEN ASSIGNMENTS AND TESTS Fall 2009
- Complete any 3 (or more) of the 6 written assignments as described in your workbook. These all must be typed, double spaced. Set your margins to one inch using 12 point Times Roman font (or size equivalent). Don't use a larger font or a font that takes more space.
- All written assignments are due on or before the day they are scheduled. Due at the beginning of class. Remember, you can turn them in prior to the due date, but not after, so plan ahead.
- These written assignments will only be accepted in class. (Don't hand them in to the secretaries in Armstrong 108, the main office, where they might mixed in with paychecks, Xerox copies, etc. or even put through our shredder!)
- Late or un-typed assignments will not be accepted.
- Since you won't receive your papers and interviews back, make a copy prior to handing it in if you wish. Grades will be posted in class following the due-date. You can go over your papers during any of our office hours if you have questions.
- Risk Assessment (Pg. 15-17). Tuesday, September 8
- Communication Concepts and Self Analysis. (Pg. 21-22). Tuesday, September 21
- Family Comm Interview. (Pg. 23-25). Thursday, October 15
- Health Lifestyle Interview. (Pg. 19-20). Thursday, October 29
- Charitable Volunteer Activity Report. (Pg. 27-29). Tuesday, November 17
- New Media and Contemporary Communication. (Pg. 31-32). Tuesday, December 8
TEST SCHEDULE FOR COMM 122 ON CAMPUS: Fall 09
- TEST 1 - Thursday, October 1 (Units 1-5)
- TEST 2 - Tuesday, November 3 (Units 6-9)
- TEST 3 - Regularly scheduled final exam time (Units 10-16)
*** You need to bring a computer answer sheet (Form NCS 30423) and a #2 pencil for each test. These will not be provided by the Communication Studies department. ***
Make-up exams for excused absences will be given on Saturday, at the end of exam week at 10 a.m. on the first floor of Armstrong. Bring your signed, make-up form to the site to verify your excuse. Also be sure to bring a computer answer sheet.
TEACHING NOTES FOR COURSE UNITS
- Difficult Situations
- Difficult Personalities
- Family and Divorce
- Sexual Communication
- Acquaintance Rape
- Teacher-Student Communication
- Hate and Prejudice
Back to Melanie's Homepage
Copyright ©: Melanie Booth-Butterfield, 1995-2009
This page was created on Sunday, September 17, 1995. Most recent revision Saturday October 31, 2009