Stretch And Relax
What kind of relationship exists between the force applied to several stretchable objects (such as a spring, a rubber band and a piece of elastic) and the amount of stretch?
Assorted springs, a ring stand with a support rod to hold objects, tape, meter stick, assorted masses, large paper clip if needed
1. Hang a spring from a support rod.
2. Slowly increase the amount of mass that you attach to the spring.
3. Decrease the amount of mass that hangs on the spring.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 for a rubber band and a piece of elastic.
1. When you added mass, what happens to the spring's length?
2. When you removed mass, what happened to the spring's length?
3. What term to we apply to a material that alters its length when a force is applied to it?
4. Do all materials stretch the same amount for an applied force?
5. From your observations, what characteristic varies from substance to substance?